Saturday, December 19, 2009

Good-Bye Africa, Hello Europe!

I arrived in Cardiff, Wales on Nov. 25, after an 11 hour flight from Jo'burg to Amsterdam and then a couple more hours to Cardiff. I was greeted by Rowan and Elsa. It was great to see familiar smiling faces. Elsa was shy at first but she got over it pretty quickly! We drove to Carmarthen, where they live, and there I met for the first time my other niece Freja. I instantly fell in love with her. She looks more like Kevin, but thankfully has Rowan's temperament! The first few days were spent relaxing, talking, arguing with Kevin, hanging out and catching up on our lives. On Sunday, Nov. 29, we had a birthday party for Freja who turned one. She's a Sagittarius like me!
We went to craft fairs, did some general shopping and strolling around the city. Carmarthen is the oldest town in Wales and it is lovely. I got my hair and eyebrows done, as I was starting to look like a gray haired old woman with a una-brow. The desert was not kind to my skin or to my hair! I also did some clothes shopping, in preparation for my upcoming trip to London. Here are a few pictures:

Rowan and Elsa decorating the tree


Freja and her Nana Freja
Kevin and the girls at Subway Kevin doing his domestic duties

A Rainbow in the Centre of Town

Elsa and Freja

Carollers in town at a craft fair

One of the pubs I went to for lunch had this item on the menu: It is called The Titanic and the slogan says "If you sink this one, you get a fre t-shirt and a certificate".

Rump steak, chicken breast, gammon steak, pork steak, lamb chops, pork sausage, 6 oz beef burger, lamb's liver, lamb's kidney, onion rings, mushroom, free range fried egg, tomato, peas. I'm not making this stuff up. Thank goodness it's a free range egg, cause we wouldn't want to eat any animals that have been treated cruelly or given hormones or antibiotics! I ordered a veggie burger with chips and a pint of beer.

All in all, my first week in the UK was wonderful, even though it was dominated by wiping snotty noses...next entry, LONDON!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment